5 Things to Know About "All About That Bass" Singer Meghan Trainor

Celebrities Visit SiriusXM Studios - September 22, 2014Meghan Trainor is making a big name for herself in the music industry.



Following the release of her hit single "All About That Bass" in June, the 20-year-old singer songwriter went on to beat Nicki Minaj's super popular "Anaconda" on the U.K. singles chart Sunday. Before that, she beat out Taylor Swift to be number one on the Billboard Hot 100.



Check out the five things to know about Meghan Trainor!



1. Music runs in her family: Originally from the island of Nantucket, Meghan and her family moved to Cape Cod when she was in high school, according to Billboard. When she was growing up in Nantucket, she started a band with her uncle, father, aunt and younger brother. "We would go to The Chicken Box and all the bars and play. Those are the main places there for music," she told the mag.



"My uncle is from Trinidad, so, ever since I was 7, I grew up listening to Soca, the genre that's from there," she continued. "It's my favorite sound. So, we put a band together and we would play Soca ... and then I would go up and play my little pop songs (laughs). It was fun!"



Meghan said her musician father taught her growing up that "if you can play jazz, you can learn all instruments and write on them. He wanted me to be a songwriter that can do anything in any genre. I'm all about doing every genre."



2014 iHeartRadio Music Festival - Night 2 - Show2. She started out as a songwriter: The 20-year-old soulful singer been writing songs since the age of 11, but, According to DirectLyrics, Megan got her break in the music industry when she landed a publishing deal with a Nashville company. The songstress went on to write songs for Rascal Flatts, Hunter Hayes and Hot Chelle Rae. In early 2014, L.A. Reid heard a demo of "All About That Bass," watched her perform live and signed her to Epic Records.



3. "All About That Bass" is personal: Meghan sings lyrics about self-acceptance in the hit single, but although she embraces her curves, she said the song is not about skinny-shaming. "I would never shame skinny people," she told DirectLyrics. "I wrote the song for myself and my insecurities and it seems to have helped many other people in world too. I'm so happy others can relate to it and understand what I'm singing about."



2014 iHeartRadio Music Festival Village4. She's not a big dancer: Meghan told Ryan Seacrest on his On Air With Ryan Seacrest , "I've never danced in front of people until the music video shoot for All About That Bass. She told DirectLyrics "I never thought I could dance," until she worked with choreographer Fatima Robinson on the video.



5. Her fans are called Megatrons: "I hope Transformers lets me keep the name," she told the UK Guardian. "It's helped me on my path, knowing all these girls look up to me, and it helps me learn to love myself. Their support, reading their messages, makes it that much easier. It's not a lot of pressure, it's just amazing that one song can change all these lives."





via Source