Emma Watson Is “Conflicted” About Beyoncé’s Feminist Credentials


Emma Watson and Rookie Mag editor Tavi Gevinson had a chat for Wonderland magazine and naturally the subject turned to Beyoncé (because every subject eventually turns to Beyoncé) and feminism. Tavi gave a much longer, well-thought-out response with her opinions about Beyoncé, sexuality and agency, but I tend to agree with how Emma Watson feels here. That is, I generally enjoy Bey’s music but I’m conflicted about her lyrics and some imagery in her videos. It seems to me that Bey sings and presents some problematic stuff in her videos, but everyone just fawns all over her anyway, for being a mega-super-famous superstar who identifies as feminist. (I am also fairly certain this viewpoint might get me fired from The Frisky, as Amelia is Beyonce’s number one fan, as in she wants to wear Bey like a skin suit. If I’m not here Monday, you know what happened.)

Source