TOP PICK: Helena Bonham Carter Covers 'British Vogue' July 2013


Helena Bonham Carter is sleek and stylish on the cover of British Vogue‘s July 2013 issue.

Here’s what the 47-year-old The Lone Ranger actress had to share with the mag:

On playing different roles: “I learned how to be a southern belle, which I’ve always rather wanted to be. And how to be a w***e, which I’ve also rather always wanted to be. And I learnt how to fire a double-barrelled shotgun from a prosthetic leg. It’s frighteningly empowering firing a gun, you know? I’m afraid I learnt that too…”

On doing character research: “The research is what I get off on. My mom is a psychologist and I’m very similar to her. I love the challenge of working a character out. Ultimately, I don’t agree to do a film because I think it’s going to be a success. I do it because I think I’m going to learn something from the character I’m playing. I’m not sure what yet, but I know I am going to learn something from Elizabeth [Taylor, in an upcoming BBC film]. I know that, somehow, I’m going to grow as a soul from playing her.”

On acting being less of a priority since becoming a mom: “It’s not my sole purpose so there’s less pressure on it. Which, of course, means I do it better. But I also find it’s less important to me now whether I’m c**p or good. I take myself so much less seriously than I used to. I used to be so self-critical, it was painful. Now I think, ‘OK, so I acted badly today. I’ll try and act better tomorrow.’ I mean, for God’s sake, it’s not like I’m a surgeon or anything. It doesn’t really matter, does it?”

For more from Helena, visit Vogue.co.uk!

Source