Demi Lovato opens up on father’s death: ‘There’s an overwhelming sense of peace’


Demi Lovato said she felt an ‘overwhelming sense of peace’ after laying her estranged father, Patrick Lovato, to rest. The singer also said it was the ‘hardest thing she’s ever done.’

Demi Lovato took to Twitter on Saturday, thanking her fans for the outpouring of support in the wake of her father's death on June 22.

The 20-year-old "Skyscraper" singer assured fans that she's finally at peace.

"Today I put my Daddy to rest... hardest thing I've ever done," Lovato wrote. "But I know great things will come of this."

RELATED: DEMI LOVATO’S ESTRANGED FATHER DIES

"There's an overwhelming sense of peace knowing my dad is no longer battling his demons anymore and that makes me so happy."

Lovato's father, Patrick Lovato, and her mother, Dianna De La Garza, divorced in 1994. The singer told the Daily News that she had had a distant relationship with her father, including a period of estrangement, ever since.

Patrick Lovato died at the age of 54. The father of singer Demi Lovato was estranged from his daughter for years, she explained to the Daily News in 2009. ‘I had to cut off all connection,’ she said. ‘It was hurting me too much.’

"The last time I talked to him was two years ago," she said in 2009.

"You try to have faith in somebody, even when you're the last person that believes in him. But when somebody lets you down after you've been the only one there for them, and so many times, you don't know what else to do."

"I had to cut off all connection," she added. "It was hurting me too much."

While Lovato struggled with her own issues with bipolar disorder and self-harm in 2010, her father attempted to contact her without success.

The estrangement would continue through 2012, when Lovato told the Daily Mail about a song on her album "Unbroken" titled "For the Love of a Daughter." In it, the singer hints her father may have struggled with alcohol and abuse.

"It's a very personal song," she said.

"'Oh father, please father, put the bottle down...' The lyrics are self-explanatory about my relationship with my estranged father whom I haven't spoken to in five years. I wrote it when I was 16 and getting it out is like therapy."

On Friday, Lovato announced on Twitter that she would be launching a rehabilitation scholarship program in her father's honor after revealing Thursday that Patrick Lovato had a mental illness as well.

"I believe that everything happens for a reason and I want some good to come out of my father's passing," she wrote.

"So I am launching the Lovato Treatment Scholarship Program to help pay for treatment expenses at Cast Recovery for someone who needs help."


Source