Demi Lovato: Rehab helped me reassess



Demi Lovato is pleased rehab made her overhaul her social circle.

The 20-year-old star checked into a centre in 2010 due to "physical and emotional issues". She later admitted suffering from bulimia and self-harming. She also turned to alcohol during her darkest times and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Looking back, Demi is amazed by how sucked in to celebrity life she had become.

"A couple of months before I went to rehab, I had a birthday party and there were a couple of hundred people there. It was full of people who I considered my closest friends," she told Company magazine. "When I turned my phone on after being in rehab for three months, I expected lots of text messages and phone calls. I had four texts. That was a wake-up call. I have severe trust issues but I try not to be jaded."

Now the star has a select group of people she is close to and knows she can rely on. Although it was hard to realise she needed to make changes in her personal life, they have been for the better.

"I don't have loads of friends. I used to, but then I realised, do any of them actually care? Now I have people who, if I break my leg in the middle of the night, they'll come to the hospital with me," she said. "Or they'll answer the phone at 4am if I need them."

The former Disney star used to be close friends with Miley Cyrus and while they still talk, they don't see each other much.

The star has also dismissed claims she dated One Direction's Niall Horan, insisting they were just friends. She can't understand why people are so keen to discuss her personal life, or that of other stars.

"I don't care about Taylor Swift's love life. I don't care about Harry Style's love life," she said. "I care about mine. I find it weird that people are so obsessed with other people's love lives!"

Have Your Say

Source